· Low Carbohydrate, Moderate Protein, Higher Fat Diet
(Approx. 25% carb 25% protein 50% Fat)
· Focus on whole, unprocessed foods, organic and locally grown whenever possible
· Eat free-range, pastured and organic meats, eggs and dairy
· Reduce or eliminate sugar from your diet
· Eliminate artificial sweeteners (use stevia or xylitol instead)
· Eliminate ALL sources of wheat and most other grain products (bread, pasta, cereal, etc.)
o One small (1/2 cup serving) of rice, quinoa or oats per day is OK
o Focus on using lentils, small amounts of beans and sweet potatoes for healthy carbs
· Eliminate Folic Acid from your diet (in supplements, energy drinks, “fortified” and “enriched” grain products)
· Eat at least 3-5 servings of vegetables every day. Focus on non-starchy vegetables.
White Potatoes are eliminated.
· Fruit in moderation (1 serving per day)
· Avoid ingredients that you can’t pronounce
· Eat some protein with each meal
· Use grass-fed butter and healthy oils like avocado, olive and coconut to prepare
· Drink ½ of your body weight in ounces of water each day (or more if you are very
active and it’s hot outside)
· Search for “Paleo” or “Keto” recipes that meet the above criteria
· Plan meals ahead and make a list when you shop so you are prepared for success!
· If something happens, don’t beat yourself up. Just own it and move on. Each meal is
a new opportunity to eat well and nourish your body 😊
· Follow Dr. Jeni on Facebook (www.facebook.com/doctorjeni) for recipe tips and motivation