Hi! It’s been a crazy couple of weeks with the COVID-19 or Corona Virus dominating the media in all forms. Let’s dive into that a bit. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I am not an infectious disease specialist. Just a functional medicine practitioner who sees people on a regular basis who are trying to improve their health. Many of these people are working on their immune systems.
The thing is, we have always had immune system threats. The flu, SARS, Zika, etc. Every year there is something that comes along. This is never going to change. For some reason, the media has chosen to panic over this. It’s hard to tell if there is a real “emergency” or if there is just a big deal being made about this. But here is what I know…
We can’t freak out! The bible tells us that “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). Let’s use all of these things. First, our personal power. Let’s make sensible choices. Stay home and avoid unnecessary contact (if you aren’t worried about yourself, be mindful of the little ones and elderly population with weakened immune systems and do it out of respect for them.) Stay home and rest if you are sick. Avoid the hysteria of the media and the “apocolypic” feeling they are creating. Stay informed, but don’t be obsessed. It’s never a bad idea to have a little extra food around, but the hoarding is out of control and just makes things worse for everyone.
Next, let’s love each other. Schools are closing for a bit. Parents are still going to have to work. Help each other out. Take turns watching each other’s kids so people can work. If your neighbor runs out of TP, give her a roll. Be kind. Offer to help when you can in any way that you can.
A sound mind… let’s us these sound minds to make good, rational, common-sense decisions. The rules of good health are super important right now. If you have been thinking “I need to eat better” or “take better care of my health” now is the time! Your immune system is your first line of defense against anything that comes at your in an attempt to make you sick. The better shape your immune system is in, the better. This is why the babies and the elderly are more effected by the corona virus, the flu, etc. Their immune systems are already weak and they are vulnerable. Here are some simple things you can do to have a healthier immune system:
· Get some sunlight every day. About 15 minutes. This will help boost Vitamin D levels.
· Eat a nutrient-rich diet low in sugar. Sugar basically shuts down your immune system. The more you eat, the longer the “strike”. Make sure you are getting plenty of fresh fruits and veggies to give your body what it needs to be healthy
· Wash your hands. This should go without saying, but every time you touch a common surface or are out in public, wash up!
· Get moving. Exercise for 30 minutes or more every day to bolster your immune system
· Get a chiropractic adjustment. Studies have shown up to 800% boost in your immune function after an adjustment. In 1918, there was a huge Flu pandemic and studies show those who got adjusted did much better than those who didn’t
· Use immune-building supplements as needed. There are many options here and a short consult is the best way to get exactly what you need for your body and your situation. It’s not a bad idea to keep these supplements on hand all the time so you can start ramping up at the first sign that you might be coming down with something.
Reach out to me and I’ll answer any questions you have on this or set up a time to chat with me about supplements. We can do this over the phone so you don’t even need to come into the office. I can ship you what you need. Many things are back-ordered, and there are alternatives that might not be common knowledge. I’m here to help in any way that I can.
Much love and a virtual hug!